Common forklift weights:
Want to know how much a forklift weighs? Here are some basic forklift weights including common model stats:
- Typical forklift weight ranges are between 4000 to 9000 lbs or 1800 to 4100 kg
- Most forklifts used in a warehouse and distribution center weighs 3500 to 5000 lbs or 1500 kg to 2300 kg.
- Heaviest forklift is Kalmar DCG720-10LB forklift which weighs 204,600 lbs or 93500 kg
- Lightest forklift is a pallet jack which weighs between 173 lbs or 79 kg for a manual pallet jack. An electric pallet jack weighs 990 lbs or 450 kg.
- Hyster H50FT forklift weighs 8,924 lbs or 4056 kg
- Komatsu FG18HT-20 forklift weighs 6,340 lbs or 2882 kg
- Crown 4520-30 forklift weighs 5,974 lbs or 2715 kg (no battery)
- Toyota 8FGCU25 forklift weighs 8,000 lbs or 3636 kgs
- Caterpillar C5000 forklift weighs 8,157 lbs or 3707 kg
- Yale GLC050 forklift weighs 9,016 lbs or 4098 kg
- Clark CMP25 forklift weighs 8,254 lbs. or 3752 kg
- Nissan TX30 weighs 5,220 lbs or 2373 kg
- Forklift batteries can add 2000 lbs or weight or 909 kg to a forklift
Why is it important to know a forklift’s weight?
You may just be curious. Or one almost fell on you. Or you might want to know this for a variety of operational reasons. Maybe you want to:
- Move it via truck, rail or ship.
- Lift it with a crane.
- Load it into a ship.
- Deliver it on a flatbed truck.
- Operate it on the 2nd or 3rd floor of a building and have been asked by an architect the weight of the truck.
- Understand the weight as you redesign a warehouse layout
Or maybe you are just one of those people that likes to know everything!
Here is the simple answer: A typical forklift runs anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 lbs with most popular models weighing in at 7,000 or 8,000 lbs.
What is a forklift service weight vs. forklift lift capacity
You might see a weight rating on a truck and think that is its weight on a scale. Don’t be fooled. That number is the forklift’s rating on how much it can lift. This called its lift capacity. You can find the service weight of any forklift in its forklift manual or on its data tag. Forklift manufacturer websites will also show its specifications, including the weight of the truck with its battery an accessories.
Here is a handy trick: The material handling industry’s rule of thumb is that a forklift’s service weight is USUALLY 1.5 to 2 times the lift capacity of the truck.
If a forklift can lift 2,500 pounds, the weight of the forklift will be approximately between 3,750 to 5,000 lbs. Be sure to check with the manual, a forklift dealer, or a forklift manufacturer to be certain.
What is the weight of the most common forklifts?
Here are the weights in imperial (lbs) and metric (kg) of some common forklifts, including lift trucks from Raymond, Hyster, Yale, Komatsu, Crown, Toyota, Caterpillar, Yale, Clark, and Nissan forklift models.
What is the weight of a Hyster H40FT forklift?
Answer: 7,654 lbs or 3,472 kg
What is the weight of a Komatsu FG18HT-20 forklift?
Answer: 6,340 lbs or 2,826 kg on a 2-stage, standard mast
What is the weight of a Crown 4520-30 forklift?
Answer: 5,974 lbs or 2,709 kg on a standard truck with no battery
What is the weight of a Toyota 8FGCU25 forklift?
Answer: 8,000 lbs or 3,628 kg for a 2 stage, 131.5 inch mast height
What is the weight of a CAT C5000 forklift?
Answer: 8,110 lbs or 3.678 kg with standard mast
What is the weight of a Yale GLC050 forklift?
Answer: 9,016 lbs or 4,089 kg
What is the weight of a Clark CMP25 forklift?
Answer: 8,254 lbs or 3,744 kg for a standard truck
A forklift weighs about the same as these things:
And since a measurement like 8,000 lbs or 3000 kg is sometimes hard to visualize, here are some common weights of other heavy objects
Ford Explorer: 4,500 to 4,900 lbs
Female African Elephant: 5,000 to 7,000 lbs
600 x 12 pack of Coke cans: A 12 pack weighs 10 lbs, so 600 12-packs of Coke cans would weigh the same as a small forklift
Dishwasher: 80 lbs so 100 dishwashers would weigh about the same as a many typical forklifts